Friday, June 26, 2009

In Grandma's House

Dawn has broken
The cockroaches scatter
I arise
Awaking from a light slumber
Dreams I vaguely remember
Swirling colors
Swirling figures
Smiling faces

The room is still dark
I feel slightly scared
Who knows what lingers in the darkness?
I gently step onto the floor
Aware

As soon as I open the door
My fears
They disappear
Grandma is outside
Chanting her daily prayers
“Omeitofatt… Omeitofatt…”

Her perfect voice soothes me
I am no longer afraid
Silently, I accompany her
Sitting down next to her
Taking her beads
I too pray
With all my heart

Grandma smiles
In that moment of eternity
I hope it would never end

The sun arises
Light fills the sky
I walk outside
The fresh air fills my lungs
The pigeon coos
“Kurukuu… Kurukuuu…”

The morning sunlight
Hits the dew
The grass glitters
Reflecting the golden sunlight
Shining like a thousand gems
I walk amongst the grass
Looking in awe at the amazing sight

Squatting down
I look at each blade of grass
Savoring each second
Tasting the sweetness of each moment

I see a praying mantis
Among the sweet potato leaves
I laugh with joy as I observe
Its serene movements
So graceful
So meticulous
So patient

Someone calls me
I look up
It's the boy next door
He looks at me with a sheepish grin
And starts talking to me
In a language
I didn't know
"Ni yao gen wo wan ma...?"

Somehow
I understood
The meaning behind his words
I nod
We laugh
Together

Grandma calls
"Fai tit fan lei... Sek fan loh!"
I rush in
With delight
Knowing what's coming

My nose
Catches a whiff
Of steamed chicken
Prepared lovingly by Grandma
My favorite!
I stood excitedly
As she spoons rice into my bowl

In front of the wooden TV
We sit
Eating
Laughing
Smiling

She loves me so much
And I knew it
For I love her too
In that moment of eternity
I hope it would never end

We take a stroll
She and I
In that familiar neighborhood
I know so well

The sights
The smells
The sounds

She takes my hand
Firmly
I follow
Ever so often
She turns to look at me
She smiles
I smile back

Walking
Just walking
Walking into eternity..

I open my eyes
The images fade
But the feelings remain
I smile gently
Life was simple then
I was so happy

Life is short
Things change
Ever so quickly
Don't they?

But looking deeply
Touching my heart
My childhood
My Grandma
Will always be a part of me
Will always remain in me
Will always be with me

Those moments of eternity
Never did end
They always will be

No comments: