Thursday, June 12, 2008

Touched

There I sat. The piano in front of me. The sun shining through the window. The wind blowing in. Notes playing against a background of construction noises as I tried out a new tune.

I stopped. Someone was watching me. Listening to me. I turned back to see who my unknown spectator was. I blinked. When I opened my eyes, I saw a girl at the door, a man behind her.

The girl was young, not more than 7 or 8 years old. She was very pretty. But something was different. She was carrying a cane. Tap. Tap. I realized. She was blind.

She came in. I said hi.

"What are you doing?"

"I'm playing the piano."

"Can I join you?"

"Sure. Come on over."

She walked over, guided by the sound of my voice. As she came closer, I guided her towards the piano chair. Her father, smiling, sat at one of the lounge sofas.

I carried and put her on the chair beside me. "You play very well"

"Thank you. Would you like to hear another song?"

"Yes please."

And so I played.

"Thank you. You know, when I was young I didn't know how to play the piano but now I do."

"Really? I would love to hear you play. Go ahead."

So she played. Beautiful music. My eyes swelled. My heart opened up right there. There she was, a young, pretty girl, barely 8, blind yet playing tunes that went right through me.

She stopped. Looked at me. Smiled the most beautiful smile. I smiled back.

"Go on."

And the beautiful music continued.

We sat there for a while, she playing, me stunned. She stopped, walked over to her father. I met him. We talked.

I asked for the time. I had to leave. Her father asked her for one more song. I guided her to the piano. She played again. Beautiful. I thanked her. She thanked me. I smiled. She somehow knew.

I said goodbye. She looked at me. She smiled. That smile. That beautiful smile. I left, feeling joyful. More so than I've ever been in a while.

I've been touched.

1 comment:

gloria :) said...

Wow....
Beautiful...