Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Renewing Precepts

Now sitting in a corner at Harper library, feeling very at peace with myself...

Realized that as humans, we go through ups and downs, and as we undergo that, we lose track of ourselves. I've just read an excellent book on the foundations of Buddhism "The Tree of Enlightenment" by Dr. Santina (although I'm really supposed to be doing my long-due hume paper. Here's a link to the book by the way:

http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/tree-enlightenment.pdf

Anyhow, after reading it, I've realized how much I have lost track of what truly is - but this is fine as everyone undergoes the same process. Hence, it's always good to refresh oneself. For me, this means renewing the precepts - I will do my best to:

1) Refrain from taking a life
2) Tell the truth
3) Refrain from stealing
4) Refrain from sexual misconduct
5) Refrain from indulging in intoxicants

I understand that I may of course not always follow the precepts absolutely, but with practice and constant renewing of them, I will definitely become a better person.

Ganbatte Adrian!

No comments: