Friday, May 15, 2009

Sape Music

I have recently re-discovered the joy of listening to sape music. The sape is a musical instrument very much like a guitar played by the Ulu tribe of Borneo. It's sound is so unique, so tranquil, so beautiful! I remember listening to it for the first time when I visited Sarawak, and I was completely entranced by it. Brings back many fond memories of my visit to East Malaysia. Will forever treasure that. =)

In the meantime, listen to the awesome music of sape:

http://www.imeem.com/people/BSf5IsB/playlist/6_fdVeZB/the-sound-of-sape-music-playlist/

4 comments:

njahmat said...

omg. sape sounds great! have you heard of the mbira of the Shona people? I love it, it sounds like they're playing on shells, and have a looping rhythm if you pay close attention.

Adrian said...

haha... checked the mbira out - it's amazing! ur right, it really sounds like they're playing on shells!

thanks for introducing that to me. =)

XiaoXin said...

the first time i heard sape was on the radio, and this is the 2nd time, sape still sounds great and not disappointing at all.. update your blog often and bring more inspiring thoughts as well as great musics =)

Tumultuous Silence said...

thanks for your kind comments xiaoxin, i really appreciate them. =)