Friday, July 30, 2010

Understanding the INFJ

Now that I have a greater understanding of how to interact with an ENTJ when he's depressed, my next goal is to work on interacting with INFJs. Why INFJs you ask? Simply, because I love INFJs. I love how INFJs keep me grounded yet at the same time, can go crazy with ideas and imagination. I love how just like me, they are so value-oriented, and pursue relationships on the basis of understanding and growth. In short, I just love them.

To understand the INFJ at a deeper level, I would first have to figure out the difference between the way I function and the way they function. So I scoured the Internet for the core differences between INFJs and ENFPs. Found this delightful summary:

As an INFJ your first instinct is to look for the answer (Introverted Intuition, abbreviated Ni).
As an ENFP his first instinct is to look for the possibilities (Extroverted Intuition, abbreviated Ne).

As an INFJ your second instinct is to focus on how you feel things should be (Extroverted Feeling, abbreviated Fe).
As an ENFP his second instinct is to focus on how he feels about it (Introverted Feeling, abbreviated Fi).

As an INFJ your next instinct is to figure out how it works by examining the little picture (Introverted Thinking, abbreviated Ti).
As an ENFP his next instinct is to understand how it relates by taking in the big picture (Extroverted Thinking, abbreviated Te).

As an INFJ your last instinct is to focus on being in the moment (Extroverted Sensing, abbreviated Se).
As an ENFP his last instinct is to focus on how things used to be (Introverted Sensing, abbreviated Si).

Wow, quite some large differences there. This really helps put things in perspective for me. Now, with this information, hopefully whenever an INFJ says or does something that I consider out of wack or hurtful, I can understand that he or she really has something else in mind. It won't be immediate, I won't be able to understand perfectly immediately, but I will do my best to keep trying. After all, relationships are about growth no? And to me, relationships with INFJs are amazingly meaningful. So grow I must!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very similar in a way.. is crazy to do both?? I feel like i have both characteristics..

Anonymous said...

It*