Friday, April 17, 2009

A Day in the Life of A Wannabe Monk Pt.1

I dedicate this post to the community at Deerpark Monastery. Although I was only there for 7 days, I have never felt more at home. Thank you, wonderful sangha, I truly treasure the memories.

***

5:00am

"Adriannnn... Adriannnn..."

I open my eyes. What just happened? I had the weirdest dream. Wait, where am I?

It was dark. And quiet. Silence. Thundering silence.

It dawned upon me. I'm at the monastery. Yes, Deerpark monastery. That's where I am. Realizing that, I silently recite a gatha:

Waking up this morning I smile
Twenty-four new hours are before me
I vow to live them with awareness
And to look upon all beings with eyes of
Love and Compassion

I climb down my double bunk bed. As I take my first step of the day, in my heart, I tell myself:

Walking on Earth
Is a miracle!
Each mindful step reveals
The wondrous body of Truth

It was only 5 o'clock in the morning, but already I felt so happy, so energized, so aware of every passing moment, every passing movement.

I slowly walk to the bathroom, making sure I felt each step I took. I turn on the light. Next to the switch, a gatha was posted:

Forgetfulness is the darkness
Mindfulness is the light
I bring awareness
To shine upon all life

What a nice way to remind us to turn off the light, I tell myself. After relieving myself, I went to the sink. I take out my tooth brush and tooth paste. As I brush my teeth, I recite the gatha that was pasted next to the sink:

Brushing my teeth
and rinsing my mouth
I vow to speak
purely and lovingly

When my mouth is fragrant
with right speech
A flower blooms
in the garden of my heart

I think to myself. How often has my speech hurt others? How often have I used harsh words on the people I love? So many times. And why? Because I wasn't aware of myself, wasn't aware of the suffering going on inside me. Now I know, now I am aware. With that, I promised myself that I would try harder to make sure that the words that escape from my lips no longer hurt people.

I look at the mirror, took my wax out and started to get my hair done, when I realize that there was another gatha posted there:

Awareness is a mirror
reflecting the four elements
Beauty is a heart
that generates love
and a mind that is open

To myself, I said, 'Wow, they have poems for everything!' But it made sense, and it always had to me, that true beauty comes not from without, but from within. It's when I forget that truth, that I suffer. I smile. So many lessons to learn.

Completely done with the bathroom, I step back into the bedroom, and change into my clothes. Very simple. Just a t-shirt and a sarong. A sarong! It feels great to wear one again, haven't worn it in a while. My roommate looks at me with a confused look. I chuckle to myself, knowing what he must be thinking. Later. I'll explain to him after breakfast. Right now, let us both observe and enjoy Noble Silence.

I opened the door, stepped outside, slipped into my slippers. As I await my roommate, I take a deep breathe.

The morning air, how refreshing. I felt so alive.

The door opens again. My roommate steps out. He looks at me, and smiles. I understood. It's time.

To the next leg of the journey we walk. Side by side. Step by step.

to be continued...

I am home

***

sangha - Sanskrit for 'community'
gatha - Sanskrit for 'poem'

4 comments:

Serene said...

I would like to visit a place like that one day. I'm in dire need of some inner peace...the world is so cruel and I need to start loving myself if I'm gonna handle the world =/

Even though I barely know you now, I'm still grateful to have been your friend so many years ago.

God bless :)

Tumultuous Silence said...

Hwee!

Thank you for those kind words. I, too, truly appreciate our friendship, and the memories, from so many years ago. Time passes by so quickly doesn't it?

My dear friend, here's a little something from me: peace is always available to you. Peace is in every step you take, every breath you breathe. You don't have to find it, it's already there.

Remember, I'm here for you and will always be. Just give me an email if you ever need a shoulder.

Take care and god bless. =)

Serene said...

I've emailed you before but you never replied o.O Which one are you using now?

Tumultuous Silence said...

Emailed you. =)