Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Painting

I had a wonderful weekend. Caught up with old friends. Made new ones. Had an amazing Italian dinner (thanks Jerry!). Hunted for Easter Eggs. And despite all that, managed to finish up a lot of the work due this week (without rushing!). Definitely a weekend to remember.

Another highlight of my weekend - watercolor painting! Walked by Emma's while she and Molly were just about to start, and they enthusiastically invited me to join them. I hesitated at first. I hadn't touched a paintbrush for more than 5 years, and I wasn't sure I was about to.

Looking back, I recall not being an artistic person. I dreaded going to art classes in high school (having never scored higher than a D). I remember complaining when mum suggested I go to a ceramics class. I sighed each time my teachers attempted teaching me to read and write poems. Having never been artistic, why should I be now?

But something told me to stop, and give it a try. And I'm so glad I did.

I sat down
closed my eyes
observed my breath
My mind was calm
an inspiration came

I took my brush
dipped it in paint
and enjoyed
each gentle stroke I made

How peaceful
How joyful
Stroke, stroke
This wonderful painting
brings me back to my true self

The experience was quite wonderful. I started with a blank white sheet of paper. And with each stroke, with each layer of paint added, the painting began to come alive.

I sat and reflected. Life is just like this too. Each of us starts out with a blank sheet. As we go through life, we add the strokes, we add the layers.

I realize the reason I did so badly when painting in the past was that I made things too complicated. I added too much 'stuff' into my paintings, thinking that it would impress others. They always ended up becoming messy, always ended up with dismal grades. Perhaps that reflected upon my life. Messy.

So with this new painting, with this new blank sheet of paper, I tried something else. I painted with my heart. The painting's style was simple, but I like it. Much more so than my previous paintings. And perhaps that reflects my life too. A new life, a simpler lifestyle.

How simple or complicated, how bold or meek, how colorful or drab the painting of your life is, depends on the strokes you've made. You have a choice. What strokes have you chosen? What strokes will you choose from now on? Think about it.

So how did my painting turn out? Haha, I'm definitely no Picasso so bear with me. Here it is:

Sitting Under A Tree

Tada! My first painting in 5 years and my first blog picture! =)

2 comments:

rj.zyra said...

it's really alright, that painting of yours. Its beautiful how you managed to put those process of drawings and compare it to life. I think not many of us can do that. Relate life to the most simplest of acts.

But I'd suck really badly in painting.

Being yourself, being original, not trying too hard, those are the keys to life, I suppose.?

Enjoyed your entry.
I was blog hopping :P.

Tumultuous Silence said...

Thank you for the compliments. Ribuan terima kasih.

Yeah, those are good guides to life, at least for me, they are. =)

Happy blog hopping. =)